Here's the Friday geonews in batch mode, well, at least the news not already covered by today's two topic-specific batch mode entries.
On the ESRI front:
On the Microsoft front:
- Here's an entry on automatic road detection from imagery for Bing, here's a reaction to this announcement and why it matters for OpenStreetMap
- Ready for the Super Bowl, there's new imagery in Bing Maps
In the miscellaneous category:
- Here's an entry on precision in the difference function for PostGIS and SQL Server, the conclusion: both aren't perfect
- A colleague informed me of localmind, a new location-aware social tool (French link), sadly, their official site offers no information at the moment
- Spatial Sustain offers a perspective on how can the developing world leap ahead with geospatial technology?
In the maps category:
- Ed Parsons discusses crime maps in the UK and how Fox News misplaced Egypt for Iraq on a map
- Regarding Egypt protests, TMR mentions map sources
- Here's a map and discussion of Europe's wind and solar energy potential