The OSGeo announced the release of GDAL/OGR 1.9.0. It's hard to ignore GDAL/OGR, which is at the core of many open source and commercial geospatial software. We mention it quite often. Version 1.8.0 was release a year ago. For the curious ones, ESRI's FileGeodatabase format is now officially supported by GDAL/OGR.
The summary of what's new: "This is a major new release including the following major new features:
- New GDAL drivers: ACE2, CTG, E00GRID, ECRGTOC, GRASSASCIIGrid, GTA, NGSGEOID, SNODAS, WebP, ZMap
- New OGR drivers: ARCGEN, CouchDB, DWG, EDIGEO, ESRI FileGDB, Geomedia, Google Fusion Tables, IDRISI, MDB, SEGUKOOA, SEGY, SVG, XLS
- Significantly improved drivers: NetCDF
- Encoding support for shapefile/dbf (#882)
- RFC 35: Delete, reorder and alter field definitions of OGR layers
- RFC 37: Add mechanism to provide user data to CPLErrorHandler (#4295)
- gdalsrsinfo: new supported utility to report SRS in various form (supercedes testepsg)"