Slashdot discusses a story about a find-my-car location service for malls that uses license plates reading. The linked article is named 'Find my car' app can also catch crooks.
Their summary: "Westfield Group, one of the largest shopping centre (mall) operators in the world, has launched a find-my-car iPhone app. The system uses a series of license plate reading cameras dotted throughout their multi-level car parks. Westfield said police could also use it to find stolen or unregistered vehicles. (Hello, slippery slope.) Initially launched in just one Sydney centre, it will be rolled-out to others if the trial is successful."
This is not the first time we discuss tracking license plates, here's some related previous stories:
- License Plate Tracking for the Average US Citizen
- Britain to Log All Vehicle Movement
- Massachusetts Plans To Keep Track of Where Your Car Has Been
- Malaysia to Use RFID Number Plates Next Year
- Repossession Men Using New Technology To Track Cars
- Scanning and Mapping License Plates